Colombia’s FARC rebels to release French journalist,
By the CNN Wire Staff
May 27, 2012 — Updated 1027 GMT (1827 HKT)
- France 24 journalist Romeo Langlois was seized on April 28
- The war reporter was embedded with an anti-narcotics force when they were attacked
- Four people were killed and six were wounded when he was kidnapped
- FARC has been weakened in recent years, but continues to carry out kidnappings
(CNN) — FARC rebels in Colombia say they will release French journalist Romeo Langlois on Wednesday, according to a statement posted on a website linked to the armed leftist insurgent group.
The France 24 journalist was seized last month in a FARC attack on a Colombian army unit engaged in counter-narcotics operations.
Langlois, a war reporter with more than 10 years experience in the country, was reporting alongside soldiers when the rebel group attacked, the Colombian government said. Four people were killed and six were wounded in the April 28 attack, according to the Ministry of National Defense.
FARC announced two weeks later that it was prepared to release the Frenchman and called for negotiations.
Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos said his government would do whatever was necessary to guarantee Langlois’ release.
“The Colombian government is willing to provide all the facilities so the release occurs as quickly as possible, but if you really want to be viewed well by the world, release him now and simply tell us where he is and we will go get him,” he said earlier this month.
Kidnapping government forces and civilians has been a key strategy of the rebel group.
Dramatic rescues, escapes and hostage handovers have revealed harsh conditions in jungle camps, including stories of prisoners chained to trees, grueling marches between hideouts, torrential rain and blistering sun.
While severely weakened in recent years, the rebels have continued to carry out kidnappings and attack security forces.
CNN’s Marilia Brocchetto contributed to this report.
See the original post -