McIlroy seeks solution, Tiger finds one
June 2, 2012 — Updated 1508 GMT (2308 HKT)
- Rory McIlroy seeking to reverse poor run of results ahead of U.S. Open starting June 14
- Northern Irishman has missed three cuts in a row in buildup to his title defense
- He will play in Memphis next week in the last tournament before the season’s second major
- Tiger Woods was one shot behind leader Rory Sabbatini at halfway stage at Memorial event
(CNN) — Three starts and three missed cuts. Rory McIlroy has a lot of hard work to do before he begins the defense of his U.S. Open title later this month.
The world’s No. 2 golfer crashed out of weekend contention at the PGA Tour’s Memorial Tournament after a second-round 79 on Friday that left him 12 shots behind halfway leader Rory Sabbatini of South Africa.
“I don’t feel like the scores are actually reflecting how I’m hitting the ball,” the Northern Irishman told reporters. “I was able to string nine good holes together yesterday.
“I just need to keep working on it and try and string 18 good holes together and then try and string two days together and obviously three days and ultimately four.
Back to back
The making of McIlroy
Walker Cup winner
Japan’s Ryo Ishikawa is the youngest male player to win a professional tournament. He was 15 when he triumphed at the Munsingwear Open in 2007, and has since gone on to become a top-level tour competitor.
Lexi Thompson is the youngest player to win on the women’s LPGA Tour. The American was 16 when she triumphed at the LPGA Classic in Prattville, Alabama in September 2011.
Golf’s young prodigies
Making the cut
The future star
Donald finishes down field
McIlroy on top
Pettersson wins by five shots
Monty: Difficult time for Tiger
“But I hit some good shots out there. I’m definitely hitting the ball better than I did last week, so I can see an improvement there. But I’ve still got a long way to go.”
The last time McIlroy missed three cuts in a row was in 2008 as a 19-year-old playing on the European Tour.
He has committed to the U.S. circuit this year and next week will play the St. Jude Classic in Memphis, a tournament he added to his schedule only after his second-round 79 at the European Tour’s flagship PGA Championship last weekend.
After Memphis comes the U.S. Open at the Olympic Club in San Francisco for the second major tournament of the golf season.
The event’s course layouts are notoriously testing, but Luke Donald — who has swapped the No. 1 ranking regularly with McIlroy this year — believes the 23-year-old is close to regaining the form that has led many pundits to describe him as the next Tiger Woods.
“He’s obviously frustrated — this game does that to you,” the Englishman said.
“He’s not far away. He made a couple of careless errors, but I’m sure once he posts one solid run of maybe a couple of rounds or a tournament this will be a blur and he’ll forget about it quickly.”
Donald, who played the first two rounds at the Memorial’s Muirfield Village with McIlroy, was six shots behind Sabbatini in a tie for 27th after a 73 on Friday.
Sabbatini, seeking his seventh PGA Tour title after a poor start to 2012, had a one-shot lead after carding a second successive 69.
That scored was matched by Woods, who is hoping to tie Jack Nicklaus on 72 wins at a course designed by the “Golden Bear.”
Woods was tied for second with fellow Americans Spencer Levin (72) and Scott Stallings (73) on five-under 139 overall.
“The things that I’m supposed to be doing for the past few tournaments, I was able to do,” said Woods, who has struggled in his past three starts since ending his long wait for a 71st title at the Arnold Palmer Invitational in late March. However, he has never missed successive cuts in his professional career.
“This is the way that I hit the ball at Bay Hill and the way I hit it at the end of last year. That’s what’s exciting about it,” Woods added.
Part of complete coverage on
May 7, 2012 — Updated 1141 GMT (1941 HKT)
When Rickie Fowler was named PGA Tour rookie of the year in 2010, many thought it should have gone to another young prodigy — Rory McIlroy.
May 3, 2012 — Updated 1431 GMT (2231 HKT)
Donald Trump threatens to sue Scottish authorities if plans to build a wind farm near his $1 billion links course development go ahead.
May 3, 2012 — Updated 1422 GMT (2222 HKT)
Course designer Martin Hawtree takes CNN’s Living Golf on a tour of the controversial Trump International Links course.
May 3, 2012 — Updated 1423 GMT (2223 HKT)
Former world No. 1 Martin Kaymer shows CNN’s Living Golf why he consistently hits the ball well.
May 3, 2012 — Updated 1422 GMT (2222 HKT)
Living Golf looks back at Bobby Jones’ 1926 Open Championship victory, the American’s first of three titles at the British major.
April 25, 2012 — Updated 2011 GMT (0411 HKT)
Having grown up in a military family, golf star Paula Creamer is hoping to help families of America’s armed forces with her charity foundation.
April 26, 2012 — Updated 1649 GMT (0049 HKT)
Former world No. 1 Ernie Els is throwing his weight — and his millions — behind a cause close to his heart as he seeks to build a new research center.
April 10, 2012 — Updated 1658 GMT (0058 HKT)
From Santa Claus outfits to leaping into jacuzzis and smashing lettuces, there’s no antic too crazy for new Masters champion Bubba Watson.
Bubba Watson’s Masters triumph heralds the arrival of a much-needed breath of fresh air for golf, says CNN’s Shane O’Donoghue.
April 6, 2012 — Updated 1147 GMT (1947 HKT)
CNN’s Masters rookie reveals that his first trip to Augusta conjures up images of theme parks more prevalent in another U.S. state.
April 5, 2012 — Updated 2250 GMT (0650 HKT)
When Arnold Palmer drove up Magnolia Drive on the eve of the 1962 Masters, he was in a confident mood. This was to be his “Annus Mirabilis.”
CNN’s Patrick Snell says it is anyone’s guess if Augusta National will bow to pressure and admit female members to the exclusive club.
April 4, 2012 — Updated 1510 GMT (2310 HKT)
In the golf world, springtime means only one thing: the Masters. Discover 18 reasons why it is one of the year’s sporting highlights.
CNN’s Colin Hancock says the choice of who designs the Rio course is only the first step in making sure golf keeps its Olympic status.
March 1, 2012 — Updated 1138 GMT (1938 HKT)
When the first sod was laid on Donald Trump’s billion-dollar Scottish golf resort, few people could have predicted that less than a year later it would be under threat.
Today’s five most popular stories
Link to original -